Stevenston Moorpark Station

The Caledonian Railway opened their station in Stevenston in 1887 as part of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway. The station was located on Moorpark Road West and consisted of two platforms, a goods yard and a station building on the “up” platform.

Initially known as just “Stevenston”, when the Caledonian and Glasgow & South Western Railways merged in 1923 the station was renamed “Stevenston Moorpark” to distinguish it from the original station further south. With one company owning two lines running through the three towns, the need for both soon dwindled and the station closed in 1932, along with Ardrossan North and Saltcoats North stations.

An OS map from 1909 showing the station. Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
The Caledonian Stevenston station, looking towards Kilwinning.
Photo from an old postcard.

Trains continued to run to Montgomerie Pier on this line till it closed in 1968, but by the 1950s only the overgrown platforms of the station remained. The line was lifted shortly after closure, but the embankment, overbridge and platforms remained in situ until the mid 1970s, when they were removed and deposited in the old Ardeer Quarry.

Virtually no evidence of the station remains today.

You may also like...