Saltcoats North Station

Saltcoats’s second railway station was opened by the Caledonian Railway as part of their Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway line in 1887. Located just off Jacks Road, it consisted of two platforms, a goods shed and waiting rooms on both sides.

Saltcoats North in 1950.
Photo by Reverend H D E Rokeby from CANMORE.
A map of the station in 1909.
Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Initially known as just “Saltcoats”, when the Caledonian and Glasgow & South Western Railways merged in 1923 the station was renamed “Saltcoats North” to distinguish it from the original station in the town centre. With one company owning two lines running through the three towns, the need for both soon dwindled and Saltcoats North station closed in 1932, along with Ardrossan North and Stevenston Moorpark stations.

The Caledonian Saltcoats station in the early 20th century, looking towards Ardrossan. Image based on a black and white postcard.

The two station buildings survived until at least the 1950s, but by the 1960s only the larger building on the down platform remained. The line continued to be used for trains going to Montgomerie Pier until 1967.

The site was redeveloped in the early 1970s and a housing estate built. The bridge that carried Jacks Road over the railway still exists today.

You may also like...